We help homeless families — parents and children — who are in need of shelter. We give them a place to stay and three meals a day by housing them at our network of churches and synagogues. While they’re in our shelter network, we work with moms and dads on a plan that addresses the issues that led to their homelessness. Goals are set and parents are compassionately guided to take the steps necessary to find a home and become self-sufficient.
Does your family need emergency shelter?
Call IHN at 973-746-1400, Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- The IHN Annual Fundraising Breakfast will take place on October 20th from 8 – 9 a.m. at Mayfair Farms in West Orange. Our theme is Dreaming of Home and we can’t wait to welcome 350 people to this inspiring event that will help so many families who are experiencing the devastating effects of poverty and ...Read more»
- School’s out and that means it’s time to celebrate another good year with the IHN After School Program. Turning to our favorite party planners, Liquid Church put on a wonderful celebration. This beach-themed party combined good food, crafts (the sand art got top ratings!), and recognition for the students and tutors alike. Those who moved up from ...Read more»
- It was a beautiful blue-sky day, perfect for working in the garden. That’s exactly what our newest friend, XL Catlin did as part of their Global Day of Giving. Isabelle Felix, from their Bloomfield office, coordinated a visit from ten of their employees to rehabilitate a 4-unit apartment in Orange that is occupied by IHN families ...Read more»
- It’s official — IHN will be holding its annual breakfast on Thursday, October 20th at Mayfair Farms. Mark your calendars for this inspirational hour taking place from 8 – 9 a.m. when more than 350 friends of IHN will gather to learn more about our mission of helping homeless families. The theme is Dreaming of ...Read more»
- If you’re a golfer, then you won’t want to miss the IHN Distinctive Links Golf Raffle. Each prize is valued at $700 and includes a round of golf, lunch, greens fees, and cart or caddy. To purchase a ticket, download and complete the Distinctive Links Golf Raffle Form. Tickets must be purchased by 12 noon on May 30, ...Read more»
- Meghan Nevolo remembers volunteering for IHN at her church, St. Philomena’s, from the time she was 6 or 7 years old. She’d play with the kids while her mother helped fix dinner. As she got older,Read more»
- On January 27 at 4:30 p.m., I left the IHN office in Montclair to meet up with a team of staff and volunteers from the Montclair Salvation Army. Our job was to count the homeless for the National Point in Time Count (PITC), an event mandated by Housing and Urban Development (HUD)*. Every county is ...Read more»
- Early fall, before the retailers start teasing us with holiday decorations, IHN begins its planning for the season. We start lining up turkey baskets for our families in need. We ask parents to fill out Christmas wish lists for their children. And we begin planning our family party. It really is a flurry of activity as ...Read more»
- Parties, feminine hygiene and food. They may sound unrelated, but not to us. We’ve recently connected with 3 other organizations that have allowed IHN to enhance the services we can provide to our families. Take the Cake is one such non-profit and founders Laura Himmelein and Janine Territo believe that every child deserves a special birthday party. ...Read more»
- Home is a place where you’re supposed to be able to unwind and relax after a long day of school or work. But for Cherlyn Green and her 11-year-old daughter, home became a place that literally made them sick. She first started noticing mold — it was growing on the windows. Next, she found rodent ...Read more»