Home is a place where you’re supposed to be able to unwind and relax after a long day of school or work. But for Cherlyn Green and her 11-year-old daughter, home became a place that literally made them sick. She first started noticing mold — it was growing on the windows. Next, she found rodent feces in her drawers and then the rodents themselves. And not just one or two. It was an infestation. She contacted the landlord. No response. Next, Cherlyn called the health department and after inspections and becoming physically sick with vomiting and headaches, she was advised to move out and find a new place. Easier said than done.
With no money for a security deposit (she’d never be able to get it back from her landlord) and first month’s rent, Cherlyn moved her daughter in with a cousin while she stayed with a friend. Then she turned to IHN and received assistance to secure a clean and healthy home.
Cherlyn is grateful that IHN didn’t give her the runaround. Social Worker Brenda Myrick simply listened to her and helped with what she needed most: rental assistance so she could afford a new home. Now that she’s settled, Cherlyn is planning on helping others find homes: she wants to become a realtor and is making plans to take the first step towards this new career.