IHN provides emergency shelter and meals 365 days a year through a network of 25 churches and synagogues in Essex County. Three to five families (up to 14 people) stay at a different house of worship each week where dedicated volunteers express hospitality by providing a safe and comfortable temporary home for our families. They furnish sleeping quarters and a hospitality room where guests relax, socialize, do homework and watch television.
During the day, families can stay at the Family Service & Resource Center to meet with their case manager, access phones and computers and use the shower facilities. After school, children return to the Center to do their homework or play before they’re taken back to the host congregation.
A coordinator at each congregation is responsible for scheduling approximately 50 volunteers to prepare meals, serve as evening and overnight hosts, coordinate activities, organize supplies and assist guests as needed. If you are interested in volunteering in the network, please contact Angie Benedict for more information.
Our Host Congregations
Interfaith Hospitality Network is privileged to have a dedicated network of congregations that provide emergency shelter, hospitality and meals in their houses of worship. During a host congregation’s week, about 50 volunteers come together to perform the various tasks needed to turn their house of worship into a comfortable home for their guests. It’s a wonderful way for congregations to involve adults and children as they concretely work out their faith. If you would like more information on how your congregation can become a host site, please contact Angie Benedict.
- B’nai Keshet
- Calvary Baptist Church
- Congregation Agudath Israel
- Congregation B’nai Israel
- Congregation B’nai Jeshurun
- Congregation Shomrei Emunah
- Elmwood West — Elmwood United Presbyterian Church
- Grace Episcopal Church in Nutley
- Grace Presbyterian Church
- Morrow Memorial Methodist Church
- New Hope Baptist Church of East Orange
- Notre Dame R.C. Church
- Our Lady of Sorrows
- Park United Methodist Church
- Prospect Presbyterian Church
- Saint Cassian Roman Catholic Church
- Saint George’s Episcopal Church
- Saint Joseph’s Church
- Saint Mark’s AME Church
- Saint Paul Baptist Church
- Saint Peter Claver Church
- Saint Philomena’s Church
- Saint Stephen’s Church
- Temple B’nai Abraham
- Temple Ner Tamid
- Temple Sholom
- Union Congregational Church
- United Presbyterian Church of West Orange
- Vincent United Methodist Church
- Wyoming Presbyterian Church
Does your family need emergency shelter?
Call IHN at 973-746-1400, Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.